We made these for Kori’s birthday and they were phenomenal!! We cheated and used a store bought yellow cake mix, but made the buttercream from scratch! Here’s the frosting recipe from Southern Living:
Prep: 10 min. If you love lots of frosting, double the recipe.
Yield: Makes about 2 3/4 cups
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. milk
1. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with Key lime juice, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and 1 Tbsp. milk, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition. Beat in up to 1 Tbsp. additional milk for desired consistency.